Monday, October 22, 2012

This week...

Over the last 4 days, I've had several interesting moments with my hundred dollar bill.
I worried more (a lot more!) about leaving my purse at my seat.
I had a case (or two) of the guilts.
I had a feeling of peace and calm when I opened my wallet and saw the 100.
I also had moments of panic.
I cleaned out my wallet of all the receipts that accumulate.
I didn't think about spending it... but I did think about putting it back in our bank account, which could seriously use an extra hundred as a buffer.
Curiously, I earned 2x that this week (unexpectedly!) in my business, and we're using that money as a buffer instead.
I thought about framing it. I thought about keeping it safe. I thought about using it responsibly... but I haven't spent enough time thinking about more FUN ways to spend this money.

This bill will stay with me for 12 weeks. Getting through this week alone (without doing something practical with the money) might be one of my biggest challenges. WE COULD USE IT. I won't lie. BUT. I think this lesson is so much more important for me to learn.


Another interesting side note: I talked A LOT today with my son, about money, saving, and retirement. It started when he asked me "What do people who retire 'do for a living'?" Which, is a pretty freaking awesome question for an 8 year old to even think about. I talked about saving money, and then we talked about who in our family is smart with money, and who isn't. We talked about what people who retire 'do for a living'. We talked about how his younger brother saved for over 2 birthdays, enough to buy his own Nintendo DS (that's over $150 people!!)
And. We talked about how I'm not a good saver. We talked about how hard it is for me to give up what I want NOW for what I really want LATER. I told him these things... because HE isn't a good saver. I told him that I believed, very strongly, that we can learn ways to be smarter with our money... and I asked him if he wants to learn along with me.

He said yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment